Radiocarbon dating the old stables

The Koinon of the Zagorisians (Κοινόν Ζαγορισίων) was formed after the treaty of 1431 with Sinan-Pasha.At that point the arrangement that granted local autonomy was called “Voiniko”.Traditional medicine flourished in the form of “Vikos doctors”, who gathered herbs for their preparations from the Vikos gorge.

The Sarakatsani people who can be found in this area use several Greek words of a Northern Greek dialect not commonly found in Greek elsewhere.

In antiquity, the region of Zagori was inhabited by the Tymphaeans and formed a part of the ancient kingdom of the Molossians, a Greek tribe of Epirus that gained control over all of Epirus in classical times.

The autonomy guaranteed non-interference in the local affairs by the Ottoman overlords.

Zagorisians had their affairs entrusted to a Council of Elders called Demogerontia (Δημογεροντία), headed by a president or governor called Vekylis (Βεκύλης).

Consequently, many toponyms in northern and eastern Zagori have Aromanian etymology, while some toponyms with Slavic etymology are present in western and southern Zagori.

Nevertheless, Zagori retained much of its Greek character through its system of government and the benefactions of its expatriates that favoured Greek education.

The placename "Zagori" itself is probably derived from the Slavic Zagore meaning "beyond the mountains".

Under the Byzantine Empire, Zagori occasionally attracted groups of soldiers who built villages and settled there.

Consequently, Zagori was never broken up to be shared out among Turkish landowners.

Tags: , ,